The most curious aunty in my neighborhood is worried because everyone’s talking about 4G and she is still on 3G. If you too are not sure what the whole buzz around 4G is, this blog post is here to help you sail through.
4G in detail
4G means 4th generation cellular technology or LTE (Long-Term Evolution) and in plain simple words it is an advancement in wireless engineering. With my background in communications, I must explain that it is an upgrade over 3G and this cutting edge technology uses both Time Division Duplex (TDD) and Frequency Division Duplex (FDD) multiplexing. The whole aim is to make the network better and faster. The technology is best suited for Voice over IP, video conferencing and high multimedia usage. Now it all depends how our operators serve us the services because with 4G its all going to be about strong signal and awesome speed. Believe me it is the future and soon will become a norm. All the more, our high hopes are pinned on 4G because it fulfills needs of our impatient generation. We all love to live our life on-the-go and absolutely hate time-lags.
Launch of 4G services means faster browsing, great gaming experience, speedy buffering and superb audio quality. LTE also promises very good connectivity. Who would not want all of it? The truth is our mobile phones have become an integral part of our life. We love to be connected with our family and friends on the go and most importantly we love to use new applications, services because they have come to make our life easy and convenient.
When I was in Europe, I got to experience LTE technology for the first time and I was thrilled. Honestly, my handset felt more powerful. As a user I could feel the difference in downloading the web pages, music, pictures and video. Everything would just open in a blink of the eye.
Airtel and 4G
Airtel must be congratulated for rolling its 4G services pan India today. This is a great news for all technology freaks. 296 towns across India will be able to experience the thrill of this new, super speed technology. The testings have been done and the experience has been really good so far. 4G technology is not just restricted to mobile phones, it can availed through dongles, Wi-Fi dongles, 4G hotspots too.
How to Gear up for 4G with Airtel?
- First and foremost, you need a smartphone that supports 4G technology.
- If you are using Airtel already, I am sure you must be getting messages to upgrade on 4G.
- If not, its very hassle free because you just need to visit Airtel site.
- Raise a request for changing existing SIM to a 4G SIM.
- It will be delivered to your doorstep for free.
- As promised, the delivery is expected to happen within a day.
- There are no requirements of getting it sized because its a smart sim.
- Soon, with the activation number and the changed internet settings, you are good to go with 4G.
- Remember, 4G speed can be experienced only with a 4G Sim.
- The plans will change but the price range is almost comparable with 3G, as less as Rs. 25 for a 4G data plan.
If you aren’t convinced about the benefits yet, you must go to the nearest store and check for the speed yourself.
I have a handset which is 4G enabled. Of course, you know what’s next in my mind. Its time to go 4G now!
I really hope Airtel lives up to all the hype and promises.