Revealed: Humayun’s Tomb
— Discovery Channel IN (@DiscoveryIN) July 19, 2015
If you are fascinated with Mughal era, dynasty and their architecture, you must read below!
On Friday, the TAJ MAHAL in AGRA is closed for public. No doubt, I was disappointed to be there not on the right day. But thankfully it was not my first time and I had been lucky before to have basked in the magnificence of the white marble beauty. Of course, the first timers cribbed. In fact, on the other days its really a tough call to ignore Taj Mahal and do something else. That day it was a golden opportunity to explore more around Agra and its Mughal-connect. Not far from the marble marvel, my folks zeroed on Agra Fort.
Every Wall had a story to tell!
It was begun by Emperor Akbar in 1565 and later transformed by Shah Jahan to make it a palace. Sadly he was imprisoned by his son to spend eight years there. I must tell you this red-sandstone facade fascinated us all and we ended up seriously curious around the Mughal era, their dynasty, the love for art and Persian-Mughal architectural elements. Even though we hired a guide, he wasn’t able to answer all our curiousness. I felt the urge to know much more. Every wall had a story to tell. I always find these Mughal monuments very impressive. Back in Delhi first thing I wanted to do was go around reading and discovering more around the incredible world of the MUGHALS.
I always find the Grandeur around MUGHAL MONUMENTS very impressive!
In Delhi, everyone had a suggestion and they all said, start from HUMAYUN’S TOMB. Of course, I have seen it well but honestly I had never bothered to read about it much until I visited Agra last week. And to add to my thrill, here came an opportunity to blog about Discovery India’s special feature on HUMAYUN’S TOMB. A great coincidence indeed!
Synonymous with Mughal architecture, HUMAYUN’S TOMB has a fascinating story!!
- It makes a beautiful tomb in Red sand stone and White marble
- It is the first monumental mausoleum of India.
- It has watched over Delhi for four centuries
- It is the densest cluster of Islamic buildings of Delhi.
- It is also one of the first to employ and embrace Persian architecture.
- It saw the capture and exile of the last Mughal emperor, Bahadur Shah Zafar.
- It was built by first wife of Mughal emperor Humayun, Haji Bega Begum who was Persian-born.
- Humayun was first Mughal king to find his final resting place here.
- This beauty build on the land of 13 acres land has been through a glorious past.
- When Mughals shifted the capital to Agra, it fell in the hand of British who changed the original garden with British like garden.
- It is believed that it acted as a template for the gorgeous Taj Mahal.
- Now, 160 other Mughals are buried inside along with Humayun
There have been many theories behind the building of this colossal structure – ‘a symbol of queen’s love for her king’, ‘a son’s memorial to his father’, and ‘an ambitious emperor’s statement of the empire.’
Revealed: Humayun’s Tomb is an exclusive programme on the first monumental mausoleum of India.
- The one-hour special will unravel many concealed secrets of this architectural marvel.
- This is the first time ever that a true-to-scale 3D frames of the complex structure have been created.
- There will be intriguing stories to be told.
- It will narrate the majestic story behind the life of the Mughal Emperor Humayun and his dynasty.
- This narrative will take us on a historical flashback into the incredible world of the great Mughals telling us quite much about the monument that has stood through four centuries.
- From Humayun’s exile in Persia to his death as he tumbled down his library staircase to the rise of Akbar ‘The Great’,
- The restoration work undertaken by the Aga Khan Trust for Culture in partnership with Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) to meticulously restore the lost grandeur of the monument will also be discussed.
- There will be series of ‘re-creations’ with actors to take the viewers into key moments of Mughal history.
This is seriously gonna be exciting!!! I am gonna watch it to quench my urge to know all the intriguing stories around Mughal era. And you too know what to do.
Watch REVEALED: HUMAYUN’S TOMB, premiering on the 27th July, Monday 9PM, only on Discovery Channel.
Rahul Johri, EVP & GM-South Asia, Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific had to say “Our programming strand Revealed uncovers significant stories from India. In the past, Revealed has featured The Line of Control, World’s Biggest Election, the Rann of Kutch among others and now we are bringing the Humayun’s Tomb. This programme will provide our audience the fascinating story of the early Mughal Empire and will uncover secrets about this amazing structure.”
Revealed: Humayun’s Tomb will also air on Discovery HD World at 9 PM on 27th July.
Keep watching this space to know more around Discovery Channel special programmes.
Travel with me!