If I had to talk of ‘Impact’, I would say ‘traveling to places near and far’ has had an amazing impact in my life. A few incidences and experiences have absolutely changed the course of my life. Among many such incidences, one such experience that I would love to talk about is below in the pictures. Lots on paragliding is here!
Today morning, I did a happy dance because I found something which I thought I had lost forever. While I was rummaging through my hard disk and looking for old stories and travel memories, I came across a folder that was hierarchically hidden under many folders. I almost squeaked in delight when I found some pictures of Manali and especially of the time when I had felt giddy and anxious and excited while flying like a bird. With the chooda in my hand, the pictures suggest that I was a few months old in my marriage. This was not a family trip but an outdoor excursion with my office colleagues. I always wanted to blog about it but had no pictures. This ten minutes adventure had taken loads of courage in me to overcome the fear of uncertainty. Of course, I must thank my friends too who had done a lot of convincing. In the end I was elated to have done it despite having issues with heights.
Here are some pictures from flying to the landing on the ground….
A few confessions…
- I was too scared to let go off the land.
- The stories of failed flights and people hurting themselves while landing was on my mind.
- I was not comfortable trusting my guide
- I feared hitting a tree and the glider getting stuck.
- I was nervous to start and I almost gave up thrice before going for it.
- One of my travel experiences which had a deep impact on me.
A few realizations…
- Sometimes, its important to do things despite knowing that it can be adventurous/dangerous.
- Paragliding is challenging but thrilling.
- The view from the top is one of the best.
- When you get a bird’s view to everything, you know how beautiful things are.
- Adrenaline rush, the sense of joy and freedom that comes with it is supreme.
- You have to do it once to know what the experience is like.
A few Records…
- Do you know that Gavin McClurg, 41 has his name in the record books for a 240-mile flight?
- He sailed at speeds of over 30mph at more than 18,000 ft.
- His wife is a paraglider pilot and she taught him the basics.
Paragliding in India
- I did my first paragliding in Manali.
- Bir-Billing in the Dauladhar ,Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh hosted Paragliding World Cup in 2015
- The hosting ceremony was held at one of the Asia’s largest monastery, Sherbaling Monastery.
- 7th International Paragliding Festival was organized at Vagamon, Kerala from February 21st to March 1st 2015
- PAI Paragliding India XC League 2016 is happening at Panchgani during 9th to 13th Feb 2016
A few things to know
- By the time I did the landing, my head gear had become loose.
- Thus, a word of caution from my side, double check all the gear and the safety enhancements before doing any such activity.
- And as you see in the pictures, keep your legs straight in the air.
- Landing is crucial.
- One must remember all words of caution as given by the guide.
If we talk of the literal meaning of the word ‘Impact’, it is about having a strong effect on someone or something. This one experience infused confidence in me.
This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.